Monday, April 25, 2011

Contact With His Son

  Apart from the cards D sent on birthdays and Christmas holidays, no attempt at any other form of communication had been made until years later. D found out that his son A worked at a particular Walmart. Family members had run into him there but no actual conversations took place. D called A at his work place one time and did actually speak with him briefly. He was polite and let D know that he was not interested in any communication/relationship with his father. As hurtful as it was for D, he honored and respected his son's wishes and also understood. This was no surprise. A's home phone # had been changed and was unlisted from many years.
  I also made contact during one of my many trips to Canada. My sister in law came with me for support. This was not something I took lightly. A was now 18 years of age yet I wanted to be mindful of his feelings as we had no idea what they had been told all of these years.  I approached him in the department where he worked. I addressed him by his name and had his attention. I introduced myself as his father's wife B and asked if there was any way possible he would communicate by email or phone with his father. He replied, "I'm all set with that. I don't want to have anything to do with that family." These words were so clear and they pierced. What could he possibly know about "that" family?
  I continued with, "You may not know the accurate information about what has happened all of these years." I did not want to imply that he had been lied to. I was not there to denigrate anyone. He responded with, "I know enough. We don't need to be having this conversation." I was slowly walking away and stated, "I respect that but I believe you may not really know what happened." I said goodbye, turned around and walked away. Calling D that evening to inform him of what had happened was not easy.
  There had been no communication with the children during their childhood because of all of the legal restraints. So much time had passed. So much damage had been done. These two kids had lost years of wonderful paternal experiences with a great man that loved them so much. How tragic!
  The last attempt at communicating with his son A was on Facebook. He had a public profile and it was wonderful to be able to see pictures of him and his life on a public site.
  D called me over to the computer late one evening. He actually got me out of bed. His son had responded to him on the Facebook email and he wondered what he should do next. He had so many mixed feelings and needed time to process this. D had invited him to play a game but D's Facebook identity was not his real name.
  This email would be very time sensitive. We knew it needed to be an impactful email as this would probably be a one shot deal.  Here is the last string of communication with A exactly as it occurred several days later:

A  October 23, 2009 at 12:46am
How do I know you

D   November 1, 2009 at 8:11pm
Hi A I am your father... My Love for you and your sister is greater than you may know... Please give me an opportunity to communicate with you... I want the best for you and R..I miss you both so much!!!

A   November 1, 2009 at 8:56pm
For a lot of reasons I doubt that. I'm not interested in having a relationship with someone who decided deserting me and my sister was a good idea. Run away from child support payments, good idea. To where the U.S. I bet. You have kids now we are not yours or part of your family. You don't know anything about us. There's a whole shitload of reasons why you probably don't want or deserve to talk to either of us. I know why you haven't tried to contact R and it would be in your best interest not to. Your attempts to contact me are weak and cowardly. They show you only want to try because of some half baked sense of duty that you clearly do not show much responsibility towards anyway. You know what you owe me, don't waste my time trying to talk to me. I don't owe you anything.

D  November 1, 2009 at 10:56pm
I respect your words. I never abandoned you or your sister, I fought very hard to be in your lives to no avail. I lost my two young children! The legal fight was taking a toll on you and R. At the time I based my decision on your emotional and physical health. I felt it would be best for you two if someone stopped the legal, custody battle. That was me. I have no other biological children and I always wanted you two to be part of my entire family. I am afraid that you may be very misinformed regarding all of the facts and history surrounding the circumstances of the divorce and custody battle. All of it can be found in the public records. I wish I could be the one to share my side of everything that transpired. You owe me nothing but you owe it to yourself and your sister to find out the truth. I am sorry for your pain. If you find out the true facts, some of the pain may be alleviated for you and R. This is what I hope for. I have only yours and your sister's best interest in mind.

We understood that he only knew what he had been told by those whom he loved in his life. A's profile on Facebook was made private after the last email.

PLEASE check out our resource links in the TOP RIGHT hand corner. These resources will include both Parent Alienation/Syndrome information as well as support for divorced families.

2 comments:

  1. D & B I am so happy that the two of you found each other - the love and support I feel jumping off the pages of this blog is heart warming. Its incredible that you can support each other and stand strong. Just like you B I have to pause to wipe my eyes, I cannot believe that all these years have passed. I can remember very clearly one day that D planned a birthday party for the kids, all of his family was over at his apt waiting - he had gone to pick them up at Sharons, be came back alone. I still remember that sadness I felt for him. He was such a great father I couldn't understand why this was happening. All the gifts that everyone brought for the kids ended up in my basement for a few years - what an incredible loss for them to have him missing from their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenda thank you for that. Yes D had shared that story with me when I first met him. He had pictures in his apartment that I was looking at. They were of the cake with the pail of ice cream. Some photos were of the gifts and the guests. I was sad for him at that time as well. I could not remember the specifics about why his kids were not there. Now I know. We love you guys so much. Thank you for your unending support!

    ReplyDelete